- Building site : Nakahara-ku, Kawasaki-shi, Kanagawa JAPAN
- Building type : Commercial building
- Structure : Reinforced concrete 4 stories and 1 basement
- Site area : 1,128.56 sqm
- Building area : 727.59 sqm
- Total floor area : 2883.19 sqm
- Completion date : 06.2013
- Architectural design : SATOH Hirotaka Architects
- Constructor : Shimizu BLC Co.
20th SPACE Design Competition
This is a seismic reinforcement work of a 40-year-old clothing store. The building got construction for anti-earthquake reinforcement like people take tailor-made shirts.
The uneven surface of an existing wall was covered with thick glass blocks. The new white tiles to conceal the old concrete wall give it smoothness as well.
The 150 square centimeters module composed of both tiles and glass blocks surface gives smoothness like fabric texture to the whole exterior wall. The indirect lighting behind glass block walls creates different building appearances at daytime and nighttime.