Messages from the sky
- Building site : Setagaya Tokyo JAPAN
- Building type : Residence
- Structure : Reinforced concrete 3stories
- Site area : 188.26 sqm
- Building area : 112.04 sqm
- Total floor area : 300.73 sqm
- Completion date : 01.2014
- Architectural design: SATOH Hirotaka Architects
- Structural engineer : Hirotsugu Tsuboi Structural Engineers
- Contractor : Mizusawa Komuten
- Photo : SATOH Hirotaka
Design for Asia Awards 2014
"I want a house where I can feel the sky "
This was the request from the client when we started to design this house. In a crowded environment of Tokyo, the answer to this question was to increase the ambient light in the house by providing the top lights.
"The clear sky in the cool morning"
"The bright sunlight in summer"
"The deep blue sky in twilight"
"The pilling snow"
"The drops of water after rain"
The sky shows various behaviors every moment and the repeating images in the mirror expand to infinity. At a moment the light creates a complex pattern on the wall, and at another moment it shows the sky colored like the bottom of the sea. The message from the sky at each moment is enhanced and becomes tangible to us. This house is the filter to abstract the sky. The building façade are covered with black states and an external thermal insulation system in the skins and floor heating system that utilizes concrete slabs as heat storages provides comfortable interior spaces. We also adopted traditional material and construction methods such as Sugi-Hameita for ceiling finish and clay walls.