- building site : Murakami-si, Niigata Japan
- principal use : office
- site area : 350.51m2
- building area : 107.28m2
- total floor area : 189.02m2
- structure : steel structure
- completion date : 04.2007
- collaboration :
- Toru Kashihara Architecture design office
- structure design : LOW FAT structure
- contractor : Fukuda Corporation
- D&AD Award 2008 Yellow Pencil(Gold)
- The Japan Institute of Architects - Good Architecture
- Japan Academy of Architecture Award in Hokuriku district
This building is located in an old town of Niigata. The town is 200 km to the north of Tokyo, in a cold region with heavy snowfall in winter. This project is reconstruction of an old Machiya to a new office building. Machiya is a kind of Japanese traditional townhouse along the street.
The site is long and narrow, with a small frontage facing the street. Therefore light and fresh air doesn’t reach the back of Machiya through the frontage.
To improve ‘Machiya environment, we designed a two-storey atrium along the long axis of the site with top light, letting the skylight in. wind flows through the tube-like building, sunshine reaches in and heat goes out through the top light openings.
The glass partitions with wooden frame divide the space into the atrium and the office. These partitions have a three-dimensional curved surface. The design of the interior space symbolizes the client’s corporation identity, which is very dynamic & creative.