- building site : Chiba Japan
- principal use : Cram school + Day-care center
- site area : 505.19m2
- building area : 304.18m2
- total floor area : 595.24m2
- structure : steel structure
- completion date : 2003.11
- collaboration : Arata Yamashita
- structure design : Yumiko Koya
- facility design : Tetens engineering Co.,Ltd.
This building consists of a nursery and a cram school. Adapting to the special shape of the site, the building is placed like a Z letter. Therefore two blank spaces are created on both sides of the building. One is a dynamic front garden; the other is a static courtyard for playing and enjoying outdoors.
The characteristics of the nursery and the cram school are totally different. Therefore the two functions are separated from each other horizontally & vertically, around a central entrance. The access to each of the buildings is separated clearly from the other. The front garden & the courtyard are also separated from each other via the entrance. This gives depth and openness to the space, creating a visual connection. The activities of the facility can be viewed from outside through the glass façade and glass partitions. The space shares wide range of information and activities with outside, symbolizing the transparent educational philosophy.